Family nightmare

Family nightmare

A distraught father details the death of his son after paramedics arrive at a neighborhood shooting scene

By André Coleman 07/11/2013

Like it? Tweet it! SHARE IT!

A distraught father details the death of his son after paramedics arrive at a neighborhood shooting scene

A Pasadena father recently recalled the horror of seeing one of his four sons die shortly after being shot in the chest following a robbery near the family’s home last fall.  

But while David Daryl Jones is angry with the man who shot his 23-year-old son Joseph the night of Sept. 26, Jones is also upset with the poor treatment that he says his son received at the hands of Pasadena Fire Department paramedics following the shooting.

According to Jones, emergency personnel wasted precious minutes by administering care at the scene instead of directly transporting Joseph to Huntington Hospital. Jones claims his son died en route to the hospital due to that delay.

“I put the blame squarely on the paramedics, who thought they would stabilize him and get him to the hospital and he would be OK,” Jones said.
In late May, Jones and his wife, Faaova, filed a claim for damages against the Fire Department, alleging paramedics dismissed the family’s pleas for more urgent action to be taken, resulting in the death of their son. 

“Paramedics did not make the timely effort to get our son to emergency surgeons to save his life,” Jones wrote in the claim. 

A claim for damages is usually the first step in the filing of a lawsuit against a government agency.

As Jones further wrote, his son was regarded by emergency workers as “just another gang member who got himself shot.”  

Officials with the city and the Fire Department declined to comment, saying the case is 
a matter of pending litigation.

In a previous interview with the Weekly, Fire Chief Calvin Wells said Jones received the best care possible. 

“Our response time in this situation met the national standards,” Wells told the newspaper. The department later provided the newspaper with the time logs of the units dispatched to the scene that night. In these reports, the department met or exceeded national response time standards.

On the night of the shooting, David and Faaova Jones were driving away from their apartment on Howard Street toward Lincoln Avenue when they heard shots ring out from the direction of their home. Fearing the worst, Jones turned around only to see his younger son, Christian, standing in the street and telling his parents someone was shooting at them. 

Jones picked up Christian and then drove further up the street. There he saw another son, Jesse, who told his mother and father that Joseph had been shot. 

“My son Jesse was standing on the lawn screaming ‘They shot my brother,’” Jones remembered. “I went in the yard and found my son laying in the yard.”

The elder Jones said he lifted up his son’s shirt and saw the bullet hole and a small amount of blood. He was convinced that the wound was not life threatening and that he could drive his son to Huntington Hospital, roughly 3.5 miles away.

Jones, his wife and their younger sons helped Joseph stand up, and he then walked to the car and got inside, the father said. Jones then sped down Lincoln Avenue, toward Huntington. But in a matter of seconds, Jones said he was pulled over by police, with whom Jones has no quarrel.

Jones said the officers immediately came to his assistance when he told them that his son had been shot, instructing him to get Joseph out of the car and onto his back on the street. The officers immediately called for paramedics, but that’s when Jones said problems began.

“The Pasadena Police Department was exceptional,” Jones said. “They went out and found the clown that shot our son. They have been unbelievable and they have been there for us.”

According to police, Joseph was shot by Rashad McCoy, aka “Lil Weez Sack,” after McCoy attempted to rob young Jones and several of his friends. After one of those men went to get help, McCoy fled to a nearby yard and shot Joseph as he approached. 

McCoy was arrested on Nov. 20 in Palmdale and is being held on $2-million bail. He has been charged with murder, attempted murder and gang and weapons charges. If convicted, McCoy could face the death penalty.

Jones said that when paramedics arrived at the scene, they brushed him and his wife aside. 

“Paramedics never asked a single question from our family,” Jones said. “They did not do a damn thing for us.” 

Jones said paramedics also ignored repeated pleas by family members to rush Joseph to a trauma center.

In reports filled out by the paramedics, Jones and his family are described as “difficult to control.” The same form also states there was an “unruly crowd at the scene,” a statement that Jones disputes.

According to Fire Department records, a fire engine arrived at the scene at 12:07 a.m., less than five minutes after the call went out, which is better than the average nationwide response time. An ambulance arrived at around 12:15 a.m. within the eight-minute national response time average. Jones was pronounced dead on arrival at Huntington Hospital 16 minutes later.

Jones does not dispute the quick response times, but claims that paramedics should have rushed his son to the trauma center at Huntington.

“The paramedics were there about two minutes after the police made the call,” the elder Jones said. “They cut his shirt off and exposed the wound, two other paramedics turned him and looked for an exit wound and then they took his blood pressure. My younger son, Christian, said, ‘Why are you doing this? Get my brother to a hospital. Can’t you see he’s bleeding inside?’”

According to Jones, one of the paramedics did not look up and instructed police officers to keep the family back.

Minutes later, Jones said EMTs took out a bandage and placed it on his son’s chest. At that point, Faaova Jones began pleading with EMTs to get her son to the hospital.

Things took a turn for the worst, according to Jones, when Joseph began struggling to breathe as paramedics looked on. Joseph died while in transit to Huntington.

“I was there and I saw how the paramedics recklessly took their time with my son, even after my other sons and his mother begged them to load and rush Joseph to the hospital,” Jones said. 


Like it? Tweet it!

Other Stories by André Coleman

Related Articles

Post A Comment

Requires free registration.

(Forgotten your password?")