Pasadena firefighters had a busy weekend, first battling the massive La Tuna fire and then returning home to battle a two-alarm blaze in Pasadena.

“Four engines were deployed during the initial phase of the [La Tuna Canyon] incident,” said Pasadena Fire Public Information Officer Lisa Derderian. “A few of those same crews responded to the two-alarm fire. We were able to cover the city and assist a nearby jurisdiction. It was definitely a busy weekend.”

Early Saturday morning, a two-alarm fire caused $1.4 million in damage to a 131-year-old Victorian-style home in Northwest Pasadena, on West Mountain Street near North Fair Oaks Avenue.

Derderian said the cause of that fire is currently under investigation.

“We had several investigators on scene. The fire caused a lot of damage,” Derderian said. 

The historic home was built in 1886 by Amos Wright.

The Wright family moved back to Pasadena from Orange County in 1912. In 1970, then-Gov. Ronald Reagan appointed Donald R. Wright as 24th Chief Justice of California. The Pasadena Public Library Central Branch’s auditorium is named in honor of Wright.

There were no injuries reported in that fire.

The local house fire came just hours after the La Tuna fire broke out on Friday in the Verdugo Mountains north of Burbank, along the Foothill (210) Freeway, near Glendale. The blaze burned 7,000 acres, destroyed three homes and severely impacted the air quality during one of the hottest weekends of the year. No injuries were reported.

The fire has been described as the biggest in acreage in the history of the city of Los Angeles.

Ash covered cars as far away as Pasadena, and officials were forced to close down parts of the 210 Freeway and evacuate 700 people. Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County.

The fire was aided by sweltering temperatures that reached 106 degrees in the region on Friday, but by Sunday and Monday firefighters were aided by rains. Temperatures are supposed to range from the low to high 90s this week.

As of Monday morning all parts of the freeway had been reopened and the evacuation orders were lifted.

Firefighters had contained about 30 percent of the blaze.

“There are still embers that are smoldering and these strong winds could move those embers and help them to reignite. So we’ve turned a corner today, but this is still not over,” Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said at a briefing that included the mayors of Burbank and Glendale.

The high temperatures caused problems for firefighters across Southern California.

In Orange County, a fire on Route 73 closed the southbound highway for several hours on Saturday. Meanwhile, a fast-moving brush fire burned 3,200 acres in Riverside County.

In San Diego, three small brush fires were extinguished on Saturday.