A Pasadena police officer who appeared to be in excellent health died Friday morning while jogging at the Rose Bowl, police spokesman Janet Pope Givens told the Weekly late Friday afternoon.

Officer Kyle Ballard, 30, collapsed after running two laps around the stadium. Pope said Ballard was training for an annual Baker to Las Vegas relay race that he and other officers participated in every year.

Pope said Ballard veered away from several other police officers he was running with at the end of a second lap and collapsed. The other officers immediately began performing CPR. Paramedics who happened to be at the site also attempted to revive Ballard before rushing him to Huntington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 11:06 a.m.

The cause of Ballard’s death was not immediately known.

“In every assignment that he worked, in terms of work ethic, everybody who he has worked for and those he brushed against thought he was an outstanding person,” said Cmrdr. Chris Vicino.

“He was the kind of guy that would be there and give you the shirt off his back. If you needed someone, you could call Kyle Ballard. There is a certain type of person you know right away that the law enforcement profession means a great deal to. He was proud of his profession,” Vicino said.

Ballard is survived by his wife, Laurie, and three sons: Ethan, 3; Andrew, 2; Owen, 6 months.

Ballard came to the department on Aug. 10, 1998, after completing his pre-service training at the Rio Hondo Police Academy. He worked in patrol and the department’s special enforcement and special operations sections.

Ballard was at the scene of two controversial incidents that led to accusations of brutality against the department.

On Sept. 26, 2003, Ballard was involved in a brawl on El Sereno Avenue that pitted Pasadena police officers against three teenagers — Carlton Crayton and his two foster brothers, James Patton and Michael Miller.

Officers claimed that the teens were the aggressors and had tried to kill them. Witnesses, however, countered police claims. The three eventually became known as the El Sereno 3, and despite the severe nature of the initial charges filed against them, none of them received jail time in relation to the incident.

On the night of April 10, 2004, Ballard and several other officers encountered LaMont Robinson on Mentone Avenue. Although it is still unclear exactly what transpired, Robinson had what officials called a cardiac episode which left him comatose for three days.

Officers claimed Robinson had that episode after he ingested an undetermined amount of cocaine. Police said they used a chokehold on Robinson only to prevent him from swallowing the drugs. Neighbors and witnesses said Robinson was beaten and placed in the chokehold by police.

Robinson died on July 10 without regaining consciousness. An internal investigation later cleared the officers of any wrongdoing.

Several officers who were having a hard time dealing with Ballard’s death asked for time off. Officers from different police agencies, including San Gabriel and Alhambra, are set to ride with Pasadena officers Saturday to help with patrols.